The Adventures of the Black Girl in Her Search for God

Thursday, October 14, 2004

A Conversation Continued: The Atheists and Me Part I

Indeed, it's a difficult position...not having all the answers. It is a hard thing to do to look out and see how finite man is and how finite our ability to comprehend. It is a struggle to look backward in time and forward into the future with empty holes in our understanding. But we make progress. Slowly we find a piece that seems to fit and many more times we force a fit when it's just our hope that it does.

But personally, as an atheist, I find more substance in the holes of my understanding than in a universal filler in which I don't believe. I live because it is the search and discovery that gives me happiness. One answer that solves all problems is no answer at all. Substance? I find no substance in "because" and likewise none in "god".
signed, Ungainley Fool

So then, if search and discovery gives you a sense of happiness, then my friend you must be sad. Because if search + discovery= happiness, and you find no discovery then it won't equal happiness. Maybe I've misquoted. Accept my deepest apologies if this is true. I've also fallen in love with your pun of "substance in holes", because as a Christian, I too, find something similar in the likes of this phrase. The substance in the answers that I can not answer, but the assurance that there is one beholder of these great answers that we seek for.

And although you may see empty holes as you look back in time and foward to the present, slowly we force more pieces that would make more sense to us mortals just so that we can hide behind our books from the reality that maybe, just maybe we don't have the control that we though we had. It's a shame that death has had to be the greatest teacher of man as he spends his entire lifetime "progressing" towards these "answers" and substantial holes, and then in the end, he comes to the self-actualization that something else will decide his fate. What then has he worked so hard for, just to die a death beyond personal jurisdiction? Why can't man just die with all the control? I guess then, man would probably never die, if it was up to him. But, you see...it isn't. signed, Me

I don't think so. To me, "atheist" is just a label -- one of many that I wear -- which describes only one thing about my worldview. It is certainly not something I pursue with devotion. In fact, very few people actually define religion this way (only people who want to convert atheists into "religious" people by changing the definition of the word). An "activity pursued with devotion"; that seems to describe organized sports better than atheism! Think of the tax-exemption possibilities! signed, Advocatus

Quote:
In fact, very few people actually define religion this way (only people who want to convert atheists into "religious" people by changing the definition of the word).

Okay then! You've just proven it: Merriam-Webster is a nothing but a covert religious manuscript, secretly attempting to convert atheists through words of pun. You've either done that, or you've done nothing but expose my unintended plaigarism because i did forget to site that source. My bad dog!

Quote:
Think of the tax-exemption possibilities!

That's cute. You're sarcasm beguiles me.

However, any one person that labels themselves anything automatically draws themself into a category, group or sect. The pragmatist is just a pragmatist among pragmatists. And I do recall the definition stating "a cause, principle or activity". They're not all the same. Now a Sunday morning church service would probably fall under the activity category, which would in turn reason its tax-exempt status. But to say that atheists don't fall into the principle category...well, what then would you say? signed, Me

I would say that "atheism" isn't a principle, either. It's just a word that describes me. I don't believe that God exists, so this word applies to me. I happen to be exactly six feet tall, neither tall nor short, but average in height. The word "average" describes me. Does that mean that "average" is a principle or cause that I actively pursue?

I do see what you're getting at, though. Perhaps "materialism" comes closer to being a principle that I do pursue, but even then I would hesitate to use the word "religion". It (materialism) just seems like such a common sense notion to me.

signed, Advocatus

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home