The Adventures of the Black Girl in Her Search for God

Monday, November 15, 2004

Heesh-The New Pronoun for God


Once upon a time in a land far, far away, there lived a little boy. On the other side of the land there lived a little girl. One day the little boy's mother and the little girls mother decided to take their children to the Central Park, as they did every week. As the little boy and the little girl were playing in the sandbox, the little boy asked,
"Susie Popsicle, why is God a He?"
"Wow", she responded, "I don't know Bitter Bobby. I guess He's a He, just like my daddy."
"Well, what's that supposed to mean?", he questioned.

You see, Bitter Bobby didn't have a daddy around. His daddy lived in Nomansland.
"Well", said Susie, "My daddy's the head of my house, just like God's the big Daddy who's the head of the world."
"That's stupid", Bitter Bobby snarwled. "My mommy's the head of my house. Everybody doesn't have a daddy Susie Perfect Popsicle."
"I didn't mean to make you mad. But, it doesn't matter anyway because the bible says that God isn't a He or a She. God is a spirit."
"So, then God is an it!", he excalimed.
"Not really. I mean, I guess. It's just not nice to call God an it."
"But it's nice to call God a He?", he questioned. "And who says what's nice and what's not nice anyway?"
"School of course", she answered.
"So a Big Bad Daddy God has to use words from our school?"
"Of course not Bitter Bobby. God goes beyond words from school."
"Then why do we say He??!! I'm just gonna start calling God a she."
"Don't do that."
"Why Susie, because it's not nice?"
"Well, obviously you don't agree with God being the Daddy. I think He's the the daddy and that's why I call him He. But, God isn't a He or a She."
"So what can we say?"
The two sat and thought for a minute. Just then, Susie's mom called her over because it was time to go home.
"Well we can't say He with an "s" cause that would be "she" again, said Bitter Bobby.
"Oooh, I got it", exclaimed Susie. "How about Heesh!!"
"Hmmm", pondered Bobby, "I think I like that."
"Well I gotta go Bitter Bobby. I'll see you again next week."
As Susie walked back over to her mother, she mumbled to herself, "He's crazy. I'm not calling God no Heesh. It's not my fault Bitter Bobby's mad. God is my Daddy and i'm gonna call Him He!"

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home