The Adventures of the Black Girl in Her Search for God

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Speaking of King Hedley...

It was about 5 months ago that I had a fever and an uncontrollable runny nose on the rainiest day in April on a Sunday afternoon. I hopped on the Transit to the city and walked about 15 blocks from Madison Square Garden and past the Port Authority Bus Station in hopes to find the Signature Theatre. I walked past the small theatre 3 times asked 5 different people for directions until I finally noticed that I was overlooking it. When I finally crossed to go to the theatre on the other side of the street, I was about a few inches away when a car just started backing up on me…and he wouldn’t stop. He only stopped when someone saw him and rolled down their window to scream at him. I’m thinking, “Why am I getting hit by a car right now?”

I may have walked for 45 minutes in the rain, I may have a fever of 100, I may have gotten hit by a car and I may even be wet, but dear God, I’m here! I’m here! I could feel the tears welling up in my eyes. I was relieved but miserable. I walked into the Black Box-type theater and there he was. Standing in the middle of the stage, synergy surrounding him like a force field. And I forgot…that I was wet and cold and sick. I am home when I am watching classic Black theatre. But this time…there was a cherry on top. And he took the stage and commanded authority. His blocking was perfect. His voice inflections. He was King Hedley the II and I was his Tonya…although there was actually someone else playing that part…but hey one can imagine. I was impressed by the rest of the cast, to say the least.
What a day. Well worth the sacrifice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home