The Adventures of the Black Girl in Her Search for God

Thursday, January 13, 2005

I Noticed.



"Happy Birthday to me
Happy Birthday to me
Happy Birthday dear meeeeeee
Happy Birthday to me!"

This is the first birthday ever that I am actually able to pay attention to something other than the beauty of my mature age or the fact that I'm legal or that I can finally get my New Jersey license face foward. I've noticed something else: People love me. I didn't have those trivial things to look foward to this year at the ripe old age of 21 years and 24 months as Andre would put it. I just kinda looked foward to waking up, going to work and continuing on with my normal routine.
But there has been nothing normal about today. I noticed you decorated the house and left little notes on my car. I noticed how one person can sing happy birthday 4 different ways and even though you don't know spanish, you found someone that did so that they could sing it on my voicemail. I noticed the surprise party with all of your conviniently purchased favortie cakes at the store. I noticed your instant messages, voice mails and work phone mails. I noticed your birthday cards. I noticed that you didn't forget even though I thought you did. I noticed how you took time out of your busy stellar awards weekend to give me a call. I noticed you visiting me at my job thinking I was surprised, but I knew you were coming. I noticed that even though you hate Mexican food, you took me there anyway.

Should I be shocked at these non-stop public displays of affection toward me today? Maybe shocked isn't the best word. Appreciative...grateful...reminded...thankful to God.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home