The Adventures of the Black Girl in Her Search for God

Thursday, January 20, 2005

Paradigm S h i f t

“We are not human beings having a spiritual experience, but rather, we are spiritual beings having a human experience.” Anonymous

It’s easy to make a statement that human beings resist change. And I do agree. There are those of us who have become so accustomed to our environment, to our culture, to our manner of principle, that to suggest change would seem outlandish. But I don’t think that change within our own particular society has been that difficult. Most of the change taken place has benefited everyone in one way or the other. Most of the change that has taken place has fallen into everyone’s own agenda in one way or the other. For example, change in technology has worked to our benefit. Change in governmental administration. Change is such a democratic tenet. One may suggest the change, but the majority will choose to accept or reject it. Whether we know it or not, change, for the most part, is under our own personal jurisdiction. So, change can be a rather comfortable thing when that comfort is rationed by...well, me.

The above quote, if adhered to, would require some sort of paradigm shift. The experience part of the quote doesn’t need defining, but the being part of the quote does. If we are in fact, human beings having a spiritual experience, then no shift takes place because we have been trained since birth to identify with our humanity and the spiritual aspect of it is therapeutic fantasy that is subject to the individual. If we are in fact, spiritual beings, then that requires a shift because we have not been educated as spiritual beings. If we are spiritual then that would indicate that our existence is an effect and not a cause. And then the cause would have to be something rising above the natural because it’s not logical that something natural could create something spiritual since the essence of spiritual exempts normalcy. So then, if I conclude that I am a human being (in the complete literal sense), then my existence is of man, therefore all questions that I have of my own reality should come from man, AND, I should live a lifestyle governed by man in all his changing philosophies and theory. After which, I can feel free to explore the complexities of the spiritual experience. This is the essence of the comfortable paradigm shift. It seems humanistic and rational and is governed completely by its suitor. But, if I conclude that I am a spiritual being, then my existence is of another, therefore all questions that I have of my own reality should come from my spiritual creator, AND, I should live a lifestyle governed by my spiritual Creator. Then, I can feel free to explore how it is that God wants me to relate to the human experience that I am clearly enveloped in. Of course then the question is, how will I determine who my spiritual Creator is?
Well, i’ll tell you this: The answer is not in man.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home