The Adventures of the Black Girl in Her Search for God

Thursday, March 03, 2005

I'll Probably Never Know

I commend him on his attempt to use anthropomorphic strategy in his "Pastor's Corner" to reach the wide audience of laypersons within his congregation that may subscribe to his e-mail devotions. But sometimes...sometimes his apparent nature of intellectualism creeps on in there and some of us are just left hangin'. Next time I see him, i'll have to tell him "You took me to the bottom of the ocean on this one Pastor". And although i'm not exactly sure if he was trying to be deep, I'll probably never know 'cause I can't swim that deep.
p.s. - And that promotional piece at the end: "And speaking of cruises..." HA!

Dear Friend:
A recurring observation in my household concerns how amazing it is that large ships are able to float in the ocean and small objects sink instantly upon being dropped in the water. Of course, one of my sons can provide all of the laws of physics that describe this phenomenon. But the rest of us are in awe of this seemingly paradoxical reality.
What is clear is that the shape of the ocean liner creates a capacity to float on top of water even when the ship weighs thousands of tons of pounds. One does not need to know physics to understand that there is a lesson to be learned.
Our lives often become heavy and our paths can be as turbulent as the ocean’s waves. But if we are built correctly and have the correct spiritual shape, we too can withstand the turbulence of great waters and like cruise ships, we can float instead of sinking.
Hebrews 12:1 says this: “… let us lay aside every weight and the sin that so easily ensnares us, and run with endurance the race that lies before us…”
Speaking of cruises, the first time I ever experienced a cruise was when the church gave me a cruise as a gift for my first pastoral anniversary in 1991. This was a trip that I will always remember. Since that experience, I have had numerous other cruise trips and each has been more enjoyable.
But the cruise that should surpass all cruises, will be the one held this August by the Couple’s Ministry of our church. Not only will we enjoy all of the amenities of a luxury cruise ship, but we will also have speakers and workshops that will help us enrich our relationships with our spouses and discover new ways to avoid sinking under the weight of life’s responsibilities.
This “Imagination Couple’s Retreat Cruise” will sail August 11 – 15 and will be the experience of a lifetime. I want to invite all of our married couples to join us for this life-changing weekend. The $200.00 deposit deadline is March 15. You may register online at
www.fbcsomerset.com today.
God bless you.
Sincerely,
DeForest B. Soaries, Jr.Senior Pastor

2 Comments:

  • Thx for coming by. Nice post! I like that verse from Hebrews and it's a good commentary on being in spiritual shape. Tonex = the music artist?

    By Blogger ManNMotion, at 10:42 AM  

  • Maybe I should keep my trap shut...this is one of those times where I can't tell if this should be funny or serious. I like how he just slid that in there, as if it was a sidenote to his deep spiritual revelation...

    By Blogger Puddleglum, at 2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home