The Adventures of the Black Girl in Her Search for God

Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Moment Loafers

I want you to understand that i'm trying here. No, not you. You! Yes. All Of You! All of you moment loafers out there who think that your moment is the only one that counts. There are actually those of us out here who are desperately trying to please you. But at the moment, I need a moment of my own to vent my exhaustion pipes until I wake to yet another day of pleasing you. I know that when I'm occupied within your particular element of attention, you assume that you persist to carry that attention throughout, even in your absence, but this is not so. When I have left your presence, I am before yet another one, much like yourself I may add, who requires the exact same amount of attention, breaking a basic rule of economics called opportunity cost. But for some reason, you don't think that you're the opportunity forgone. None of you do! I realize that you think I have nothing better to do than to make up silly complicated curriculums for high schoolers and teach them in the midst of the non-existent schedule that you think I have. I realize that you think that I have nothing better to do than to sit around all day and start a production company and that your busyness is far more complex than mine. I realize that you don't think I work and that I can just up and hop on the plane with you and fly to Miami for a week or that I have the liberty or even the sanity to just up and go to dinner right after work. I realize that because i'm not married with kids you think that exempts me from having any "real responsibilities". I realize that you think that I have nothing better to do than to send e-mails to my board members and ask them to do things all the while badgering them to complete one minor task of actually opening the e-mail up and reading it. I also realize that when you ask me to do something last minute you assume that I had nothing to do in the first place and when I say that I am busy, then you are flabbergasted at how it is at all possible within my non-existent schedule to have anything at all to do. Furthermore, I am even more understanding of that fact that when I finally get a moment to myself that it is then called laziness or worse, "luck", because in the midst of your hectic schedules, I am taking a break from what you all assume was really, nothing to begin with.
But what I really want you to realize, is that I'm tired and you're beginning to bug me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home